Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Elusive Falls


I’m glued to the monitor, playing Bejeweled Blitz, sucked into Facebook.  I’m wanting someone to send me a message or post on my wall yet hoping they don’t as it would interrupt my brilliant plan to earn more coins.  Bored.

I check the Home page and see that Fearless of Ladysmith had returned from a trek with his dog.  Apparently, they didn’t find the ‘elusive falls’.  What falls?  Look at those pictures!  Where?  I halfta go there!

 Stocking Creek Park is 25 acres nestled between Chemainus Road and the Trans Canada Highway on the north side of Chemainus.  It is dense with cedars and ferns with a small creek running parallel to the highway.  This is the home of the ‘elusive falls’ which I will find and photograph. 

Parking and facilities are just past the entrance off of Thicke Road.  Take the trail down to the bridge and pick your trail.

As I was looking for falls, I took the high road and found the trails to be well travelled with the surrounding woods just as they should be, not full of litter and dog poop.  The air was warm and green as was the park. *Insert bird song here.*

As I walked I could hear the falls but could not find them!  After two hours I stopped to eat and stick my feet in the cool creek.  Off again, with a plan.  I’ll check one more trail then that’s it…I’ll concede.  Camera ready, backpack lightened I walked the trail on the lower left side of the bridge.  Lovely.  Absolutely lovely.  I felt very small yet protected walking at the feet of the giant cedars.  


 The sound of rushing water could be heard and it was getting louder and then it was right there!  The elusive falls!  Brilliant!  Triumph!  They were beautiful however I couldn’t take a decent picture of them.  If you know how or why I couldn’t shoot running water…please comment.  I’m an amateur photographer.

I recommend this jewel of a park for an easy afternoon trek.  Each trail is different.  The bird song was fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment